Saturday, October 23, 2004

Sin City Tales

The Vegas trip was well... a trip. Las Vegas is like Disneyland for adults. You can eat whatever you want, drink out of Genie bottles, go on rollercoasters, see pirates, see Wayne Newton (!) and maybe if you are lucky, see some animals as well. (Sorry Siegfried and Roy, Vegas will never be the same without you).

I had a great time at the conference, I have never seen so much BAD HAIR and sensible shoes (including my own comfy Danskos!) I learned a lot, saw some great speakers, saw some crappy speakers, and flashed my breasts to the entire conference. Well, at least to the "Asserting yourself and your career" crowd. Here I was, walking around with a bag full of free stuff I had collected from all the various vendors (oooh pens!!), my coat and my purse with the top button of my shirt open. Hello boobies!

We didn't get to go to any Vegas shows, but that's ok. I didn't need to see any more half naked men. The replica of David by Michaelangelo was enough for me. Next time, I am DEFINITELY getting some tickets for Tom Jones or Wayne Newton. Jeremy still doesn't believe me that Wayne Newton sings "Danke Schoen".

Eating: we ate pretty well in Vegas. The second night we were there, we decided to try out the Spice Market Buffet at the Aladdin. It was a pretty good spread. It was also a great place to people watch. I saw a blushing bride loading up her plate at the roast beef station. More gravy please! There was a lady who was shorter than me chowing down on PLATES of crab legs. Jeremy and I tried to have a game plan, I was told "skip the breads and go all for the meats." Dr. Atkins would have been proud. Unfortunately, I wanted a challenge and after my fourth plate of food, that last piece of cake was putting me over the edge.

After 4 days in Vegas, it was time to go home. After arriving at the airport, we were told that our plane was cancelled due to "weather". Whose weather?! Nome, Alaska? So, we quietly accepted our fate of sitting in the airport waiting area for another 5 hours. Just the smell of smoke and the flashing lights of the slot machines was enough to drive a woman to drink. When we found out that we had been upgraded to first class, that is exactly what I did. Another gin and tonic please! First class isn't all it's cracked up to be (if you are flying to or from Vegas). You don't get a meal, just free drinks and a "snack". Well that snack just turned out to be some heated up cashews, almonds and pistachios. Yes, free drinks and warm nuts is all I got!

Happy to be home and I think I will give Vegas one more try. We didn't get to see a lot of things because of the "inclement weather", but I am sure that it will be more fun next time when I don't have to sit around in a conference all day.

Viva las vegas!

No comments: