Sunday, July 01, 2007

No Eggs for You!

This weekend I was on a mission to find farm fresh eggs at our local farmers markets. Jeremy and I headed out to Kent Saturday to find some of these little delights and I was disappointed to find out that the most exciting thing at the Farmer's Market in Kent did not grow on a farm nor did it seem like it had anything to do with a market. Some lady was selling blankets and towels with the likes of Spiderman, Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean) and Sponge Bob on them. It seemed a little odd for a Farmer's Market and Jeremy wondered aloud if they were officially licensed products. HA. A sign you've been working for an intellectual properties company too long.

Sunday Jeremy was off to the Vintage Races with his friend Matt and so I met up with Melanie (Matt's wife) and her children and my sister, nieces and my sister's friend from work. We hopped aboard the Vashon Island Ferry in search of farm fresh eggs at Seabreeze Farm. Apparently this farm is known for it's rotational grazing (which allows for crops to be grown without pesticides or chemicals) and as I am reading the "Omnivore's Dilemma" I was excited to go to the farm and check it out. I had visions of utopian bliss and couldn't wait to go. Sad thing was- NO ONE WAS THERE! There was no eggs to be found as they were all at the Farmer's Markets in Seattle. Boo hoo.

We spent the rest of the afternoon driving around Vashon in search of a berry patch (again, no berries to be found) and so we had lunch and called it a day. It was a beautiful day and a fun way to spend an afternoon, even though it was a bit of a letdown not to find any eggs. I'm about ready to get my own chickens and keep them in the back- it will be bit of entertainment for the cat, I'm sure.

Next weekend I'm planning on getting my eggs, come hell or high water. Mark my words eggs- I'm coming for you.

No comments: