Wednesday, March 23, 2005

It happened again.

"Can I help you with anything, ma'am?"

Since when did I become a ma'am? I really don't remember when I signed up for that. It's not like I checked off the Ms., Mrs., or Ma'am box when I went to my last doctor's appointment. At what point in your life do you suddenly graduate from Miss to Ma'am?

There is this Richie Cunningham look-alike at my beloved grocery store in Renton Village who asked me the other day if "I needed help out with my groceries today, Ma'am". I froze, about ready to throw my sugar-free jello cups in his face. Am I graying? Is my posture starting to deteriorate? DO I HAVE A SIGN ON ME THAT SAYS I AM OLD?!

I know I know, the poor chap was just trying to be helpful. But for the love of all that is holy- please don't make me feel like I should call you "Sonny".

1 comment:

Cardboard Tube Samurai said...

This is a tough one. Here are your options as I see them (none of which are very appealing):

"Hey Lady!" - disrespectful
"Sweet-cakes" - obnoxious
"Honey" (spoken with a gravelly smokers voice) - condescending
"You there" - impersonal

...I think you should just respond loudly with "Do you know who you're DEALING WITH buddy?!?!?!"