Saturday, August 30, 2008

Birthdays. Blegh.

I don't know what it is about birthdays (mine in particular) but I don't really enjoy them. I know some people who are so excited for their birthday and celebrate the entire week, but to me, it is just another reminder that life is non-stop. I'm also not a fan of the focused attention that comes with birthdays. I have a vivid memory of one of my birthdays when I was a kid- my grandfather had come up to visit for the summer and I REFUSED to come into the dining room for cake and singing. I knew they were going to sing to me and I wouldn't have any of it. As a young child, I remember being sung to at a restaurant and I had burst into tears. I don't know why- I just really dislike my birthday. I love birthdays for other people though; buying presents, making a cake- I love that. But when it comes to mine, I'd rather just hide under the covers until September 1.

I think one birthday tradition that I will have to carry on is the box of Fran's Chocolates. Man oh man. I bought a box for myself on Thursday and I've been loving every piece. It's not like See's Candies where you can rip through most of the box in one sitting- they are just so good that you really want to make the most of them. Jeremy dislikes Fran's because of the cost- but once in a while you really need to treat yourself and make yourself feel special. So here I sit, a big fat glass of Pinot Noir and a half empty box of Fran's. Perfection.

No comments: